Basically the idea is replacing the hard shell taco with spring roll wrapper. Then it is up to you to go the healthier way by oven-cook them or go the original way, deep fry them — which probably adds a few hundreds more extra calories with the same end result. Both of them will still be crispy and delicious.
Cooking and preparation is very easy. It is fail proof and a guarantee crowd pleaser. I prefer using iceberg lettuce in taco, it’s nicely crunchy and complements the flavors. Some people prefer to use other type of lettuce, but really? romaine lettuce in taco???
Here’re some main ingredients used:
(view this recipe in your Iphone by scanning the QR code below)
SPRING ROLL TACO
* 400 gr lean minced beef
* 1 red bell pepper – julienned
* 1 green bell pepper – julienned
* 2 medium firm red tomatoes – chopped
* 1 medium sweet onion – chopped
* 1 packet Old El Paso taco seasoning
* 1 pack spring roll wrapper (large size)
* 1 head iceberg lettuce – shredded
* half cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese – optional
* red chilies, chopped – optional if you like spicier taste
1.) Cook the ground beef with taco seasonings. Set aside and let it cool
2.) Arrange 1 tbs of cooked ground beef, shredded lettuce, green & bell pepper, chopped tomatoes, chilies and cheese
3.) Roll them – more on how to roll. *thanks soupbelly*
4.) Arrange spring rolls on baking tray/silicon, brush thinly with cooking spray or olive oil (for oven baked) or deep fry
them in hot oil until they turn golden yellow on both sides.
5.) Serve them with variations of dipping – salsa, guacamole, sour cream or tabasco